Monday, April 20, 2009

BED TIME HELP

THE LAST WEEK I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET TALIA TO SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT AND IT IS NOT WORKING!!!! SHE WAKES UP AN AVERAGE OF THREE TIMES A NIGHT. ONLY SINCE SHE HIT THE 4 MONTH MARK. IT HAS WORKED OUT BETWEEN 4 MONTHS AND NOW BECAUSE I WOULD JUST PUT HER IN BED WITH US, FEED HER FOR 5 MIN, AND SHE WOULD FALL BACK ASLEEP. THEN I WOULD PUT HER BACK INTO HER CRIB. NOW THAT SHE IS ABOUT TO HIT THE 6 MONTH AGE I THINK THAT THE NIGHT FEEDINGS NEED TO END. SO NOW THAT SHE IS NOT BROUGHT TO OUR BED THE NIGHTS ARE HORRIBLE! SHE SCREAMS BLOODY MURDER FOR AN AVERAGE OF AN HOUR. THREE TIMES A NIGHT. YOU DO THE MATH.

THINGS I HAVE TRIED

- IGNORING HER COLD TURKEY (THIS WAS THE WORST ONE. SHE CRIED FOR 2 1/2 HOURS STRAIGHT.)

- EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES I WILL GO IN HER ROOM AND RUB HER FACE AND PUT HER BINKY IN HER MOUTH (THIS APPROACH WORKS BETTER. SHE SEEMS TO CALM DOWN AND GO BACK TO SLEEP BUT THEN 20 MINUTES LATER IT STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN)

-PICK HER UP AND ROCK HER BACK TO SLEEP (SHE GOES BACK TO SLEEP BUT THE SECOND SHE REALIZES SHE IS IN HER CRIB IT IS BACK TO FULL ON SCREAMING)

-STUFFING HER FACE BEFORE SHE GOES TO BED ( STILL WAKES UP)



I FEED HER THEN GIVE HER A BATH AND THEN PUT HER INTO HER CRIB AWAKE EVERY NIGHT. SHE GOES TO SLEEP FINE. BUT A FEW HOURS LATER THE CRYING BEGINS. I KNOW I HAVE ONLY GIVEN THIS NEW TRANSITION A WEEK BUT I JUST WANT HER TO SLEEP ALL NIGHT LIKE SHE USE TO. BLAKE AND I ARE MISERABLE AND I AM SURE THE BABY IS TOO. WAAAAHH

ANY MORE IDEAS I CAN TRY?? ANYONE!!!



6 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry! I tried the cold turkey thing with Cora and I let her cry it our for and 1 and 1/2 so I give you props for 2 1/2! I'm not much help... Evan was a lot like Talia so he slept with us until he was done nursing. Cora is only up once a night but still we can't seem to cut that one out either.
Talia & Cora's dresses were really similar but Cora's was sleeveless (sp?).
Love You guys and GOOD LUCK!

Mama J said...

Ewwww.... Sleeping FUN! That's a hard one. Pay.. Slept through the night at 4 weeks and then when she did wake up, I let her scream it out. Heidi... Yeah she was ONE when she slept through the night. I always read that you are NOT supposed to pick them up. As soon as you do, the realize that all they need to do is scream for a certain amount of time and BAM they get what they want. But its SOOOO HARD to let them cry. Especially if you have neighbors right on the other side of the wall. She isnt hungry, she is just in a phase where her body wakes her up. Pick one method and STICK with it. IT will be HELL for about a week but when her body finally gets used to it. It will be BEAUTIFUL!!!! ITs hard this mommy stuff!!!! Lemme know if you need any more help!

Erin said...

That stinks so bad! You're not alone. We are still going through this on and off. She'll do fine for a few weeks and then we have a week of waking up. The only thing that I can suggest is to just let her scream for as long as it takes. It may seem like the hardest option, but it's so true that they learn that you'll come pick them up. Those darn babies are smart! I'd say just go cold turkey and she should learn within a few nights. Good luck!

Ben and Krista said...

I have no advice...haha obviously :) i just wanted to say how adorable Tay looks in this picture. AH!!! She is so cute. I am really going to miss seeing you guys all the time when we move :( It makes me sad thinking about it.

Sarah or Stephen said...

I just did this with Bearett, and this may be cruel to others, but the ONLY way I can let him cry through the night is if I don't hear it. So I put him to bed, go to bed my self with a fan going really loud so if he wakes up I don't hear it. If I get up and hear him crying, I give him a bottle of water and his blanket and walk straight back out, I don't say anything. The first night I did this, I know he was up a lot, and I expected a very mad baby the next morning, but ever since we started this he has been so happy! We are on week 2 or 3, we had a vacation in between that messed things up, but I don't leave the fan on anymore, and he most of the time sleeps through the night, every once in a while he wakes up at 3, but thats it. Good luck, I call night time torture time, it's so hard!!!!!

Jacqui said...

Hey, I'm Josh's sister and just clicked on your blog because I think you have the greatest hair! (seriously...I loved it when I saw you at church when we were in Flag awhile back!) And I love that side-braid thing you've got going in the post above this one.

So, I have four kids, therefore many, many hours (years?) worth of lost sleep. My last two I did the cold-turkey method and it was hard, but I am so glad I did. We are lucky to have a basement, so I slept down there with earplugs in for three nights. My hub could sleep through the crying. I, on the other hand, am too big of a wimp to not go cuddle/love my baby. After about three nights, both of them slept through the night. I also use a noise machine in their room, and a fan outside the door for when they decide to wake up and scream for no reason.

Another thing I didn't realize with one of my kids is that she had night terrors, even as a baby, and there's not much you can do for that. She would scream like nobody's business, and I would get so frustrated. I thought it was just an extention of her very fiesty personality. It took 4 years to realize it wasn't. Just a thought.

Every once in awhile if my 18-mo-old wakes up screaming, I turn on the fan in the hall. If she's still screaming, I'll check her diaper, get her a sippy of milk and put her back in her bed, turn on the fan and go back to my bed. She'll wail for 10-20 minutes and go back to sleep.

Just when you think you've got the sleeping thing down, you go on vacation or they start cutting more teeth. It's a blast! :)

Good luck. Sorry for the epistle of a comment.